Taking Dating Cues from Nancy Drew

My 31st birthday was a little under two weeks ago. One of the gifts I got was a last-minute inspiration from my mom and sister. They were browsing the gift shop of the history museum where my mom works and came across a little book called The Official Nancy Drew Handbook: Skills, Tips & Life Lessons from Everyone's Favorite Girl Detective. I loved Nancy Drew when I was growing up. My mom had been collecting the yellow hardback series and that was how my interest began. I continued the collection, having to occasionally settle for a newer version of some books. But I think the collection is only short one or two books at this point. Then I discovered the blue editions. The blue editions are even older than the yellow ones. These are the ones that pull me into every used bookstore or book sale I pass. They're usually around $12 each, but it seems a bargain for such an artifact. I have yet to research whether these books are worth any money. It's not important. Plus, I only have three or four at this point. But if I have a daughter someday, she'll inherit them just as I did.

But back to the birthday present. As soon as I got it, I knew it would be chock full of great blog content. And I have not been disappointed. I've learned all sorts of great skills and I'm not even through the book yet. I now know how to choose the perfect handbag, how to use makeup for enhancing my beauty and assisting in sleuthing, and how to choose the perfect sidekicks. But the section that has really caught my interest is "Clues to Love and Romance." This chapter helps the reader assess whether a man is interested, flirt and use feminine wiles, and get the most out of a date. I'm not going into those subjects in this blog, but they are obviously worth checking out. No, what I'm going to share with you is "How to Determine a Man's Character by the Shoes He Wears." Get ready to take notes, ladies. And gentlemen, I suppose. You might be inadvertently wearing shoes that give the wrong idea to the opposite sex.

Here are the main tips from Nancy Drew's Handbook:
1. Loafers: This man will be likely interested in name brands and not have much depth. He likes to show off his wealth. Does anyone actually still wear loafers?
2. Athletic shoes: This one is split. If the shoes are expensive, he'll throw money around and be fun to go out with. And the next comment has to be quoted: "But if the shoes are cheap sneakers, watch out: he may be a sneaky character." That's pretty amazing information.
3. Flip-flops: Again, I have to quote: "Flip-flop guys are usually casual, relaxed, and unemployed...He makes his money discreetly buying and selling items (not always legally) on the streets, and slips out of his shoes to monkey-climb fences for a fast getaway." Oh man. I wonder if the same assumptions apply to girls. I live in flip-flops during the summer and I would hate to think that people assume I'm a drug dealer because of it.
4. Cowboy boots: They quickly suggest that you could be dealing with a real cowboy or a faker. You have to look closely and make sure the boots look scuffed and dusty. Fakers will have boots that are shiny and showy. What does a real cowboy do when he needs new boots then? Maybe there's a shop that sells already beat up boots, just to make sure you're not mistaken for a city slicker.
5. Bowling shoes: I'm serious, this is a choice. Personally, if I go on a date with a guy who's wearing bowling shoes, there's not likely to be a second date. I'll spend the first one wondering if he's stolen these from a bowling alley. And why would you steal a pair of smelly bowling shoes? Forget the smell for a minute--if you can--and look at the fact that they're always ugly. They tend to be awkward colors that wouldn't go with any wardrobe anyway. But this handbook says that this guy is "whimsical, alternative, and unpredictable." They say he's probably in the arts and likely poor. Thanks for the stereotype on artists. They do acknowledge that he could also just be a bowler.
6. Oxfords: This guy they love. He is likely the guy to bring home to mom: "solid and down-to-earth. He believes in old-fashioned romance, marriage, and family and carries a ring around with him." What!? This guy has a standard engagement ring that he just carries around with him!? Who wants that guy? Sounds a little creepy to me. But the handbook verifies: "It's a good bet he's not the criminal type (real criminals just don't wear oxfords)." Oh boy.

Well, I know I'll certainly be paying a lot more attention to the shoes my dates wear. If nothing else, it might be a fun conversation starter to inform them of the character they're exhibiting with their footwear. I will admit that a lot of the advice in the book is a bit ridiculous. But it is fun. If you've ever gotten any absurd dating or life advice, please share it in the comments. Additionally, if you're looking for any life tips, I'd recommend picking up this handbook. You never know what might resonate with you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Magic of Massage

Churches and Ruins and Walls, Oh My...Part Three

Barefoot