I'm Not Hallmark, But This is My Thank-You Note...


 So, I am a week beyond the surgery that--at one time--felt a million years away. I have amazing friends and family who are all eager to ask me how I'm feeling whenever we talk. My answer does not come easily. It doesn't come easily because I can't put into words the overwhelming gratitude and awe that are the result of my experiences over the past week.

To begin, I have to say that--should you need a hospital for any reason--I would highly recommend Northwestern Hospital here in Chicago, and in particular, The Prentice Women's Hospital. The staff that took care of me were incredible. They were pleasant and patient, yet they pushed me to do things they knew would be less than enjoyable. They made it easy for me to be in good spirits almost the entire time I was with them. I can't imagine the stamina and spirit it takes to do the job they do everyday, but they never once made me feel as though I were just another patient. I'm almost positive I would not be feeling as strong as I do without their support and care. My parents became fans of my doctor within minutes of meeting her. She's always smiling and so energetic, but also takes the time to answer and validate any questions or concerns. Her two residents were great, too. The anesthesiologist was so laid back he ended up pitching a play to us that he'd seen a few nights earlier, highly encouraging us to check it out. So, needless to say, I was in extremely capable hands all around. It bothers me now that I didn't make someone write down all the names as the rotations went on so that I could send individual thank you notes to each person I met.

I can't begin to express how thankful I am for my family and friends. They have made themselves available despite their own health concerns, beyond-busy schedules, and nasty weather conditions. They've walked with me (at a snail's pace), carried my things, emptied my trash, cleaned the litterbox (only a parent would...), and done my laundry. They've prayed, sent good thoughts, sent money, sent flowers. I also could not possibly be doing this well without them.

I sometimes miss the hospital, which is definitely weird. But the nurses and staff became like fast friends. The fact that they had the drugs helped, I'm sure. I am planning to find some way to give back, so if anyone knows of any great ideas, let me know. I'm also super excited to get back on track with my life. The theater is calling me loudly, now that I've put it off for the past year. The 90% of my wardrobe that has gone unused for over two years is beckoning. And I am determined to do some hardcore exercising just as soon as I'm able to get started.  Most of all, I'm hoping to hold onto this crazy "Lucky Ducky" feeling. It makes the way I approach people easier. It makes every day brighter. And it makes the future exciting. Those of you who can, I'm giving you one last job here: just help me remember if I start to forget.

Comments

  1. Yay! This made me smile. I've been waiting for a blog post and this didn't disappoint. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. enjoyed reading the blog. We still have the blog you wrote while you were gassed that day. When do you want us to publish it?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Magic of Massage

Churches and Ruins and Walls, Oh My...Part Three

Barefoot