Inspired by Alice Walker

I came across the following quote early in February and took the time to jot it down in my journal. Looking for inspiration for this entry today, I stumbled upon it again. It comes from Alice Walker, author of The Color Purple and a major activist for both the civil rights and feminist movements: "Helped are those who create anything at all, for they shall relive the thrill of their own conception and realize a partnership in the creation of the Universe that keeps them responsible and cheerful."

The day I saw this quote, it resonated with me because I'd been going through old writing notebooks. I was searching for one that had enough blank paper in it to be used as a school notebook, but most of them were entirely filled with writing projects. They were from my time with Camerashrapnel, a comedy group I was a part of in LA. Some were also filled during the moments I was working as an extra, which mostly involved a lot of "sit around and wait until they put you somewhere."

I was struck, reading through these notebooks, at how easily I could remember what was going on at the time I wrote particular pieces. Other ones took me a few minutes to recall. I mostly felt so happy that I'd kept everything. It reminded me how much I enjoy writing, and that I'm actually not bad at it! Some of the pieces gave me a real sense of pride. Most of them made me a little wistful that the group had to split up. The most talented people I met in LA were a part of that comedy group.

It's good to keep reminders of our creativity within easy access. There are days I feel like I can't muster an ounce of inspiration for creating. Now I have these notebooks close by so that I only have to spend a few moments reminding myself of that feeling that occurs when you send creativity out in the universe. Ms. Walker had it right: there is a thrill and a cheerful result when I take the time to create. What helps you get inspired?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Magic of Massage

Churches and Ruins and Walls, Oh My...Part Three

Barefoot