Dr. Shakespeare

"Give sorrow words. The grief that does not speak whispers the o'er-fraught heart, and bids it break." ~William Shakespeare


Boy did that man have a way with words. I love Shakespeare. I think his language is like an intricate dance. It's beautiful and earthy and sexy. I know, not everyone agrees with this opinion, but they can write their own blog about those feelings. Today was a rough day and I wanted a quote that would spark a creative way to handle it. I knew I could count on good ole Will. 


It occurs to me that songwriters are especially good at giving sorrow words. Today for instance, all I wanted to listen to was Adele. She's my latest obsession. Talk about hitting the mark. If you haven't ever watched her perform, you should. Youtube is an excellent source for videos of hers. Beyond her amazing voice, the lyrics in some of her songs really resonate with me. Singing along to my favorites sometimes help to release the thoughts banging around in my own soul. Even though the words aren't mine, they say exactly what I wanted to.


I also think about journaling when I read this quote. I've always felt that writing is therapeutic. It's been too long since I've really kept a journal habitually. I used to be really good at it. I'd look forward to writing things down, either to remember or to vent. Then, a year or two ago, I really just sort of stopped. I didn't think much of it at the time. Things were pretty low. I just didn't have the energy for it. But when I really thought about it, I realized I had stopped writing because I didn't feel like I had anything inside me worth putting down on paper. Things had reached a point where I was pretty sure I wouldn't want to revisit anything that might get written. And, in order to write it down, I had to think about it of course. I wish I had written anyway. So what if it might have seemed melodramatic or depressing later on? At least I would have gotten it out of my soul. I might have found some clarity. Some peace. Maybe not, but maybe. 


I seem to turn to daydreaming when I need to get something out. I'll play out little scenes in my head where I can rant at whoever happens to be the object of my displeasure. I provide their lines as well, trying to be pretty accurate to what I think they'd say in response to my lines. Sometimes I let it shift into a complete fantasy scenario. Maybe it takes after a romantic comedy and the person does something totally out of character to win me over. Maybe it turns into a Die Hard movie and I just take everybody out. Depends on what my heart is craving at the time. But mostly I keep it pretty realistic so that I can say the things I'm feeling in the moment I'm feeling them. Half of the time I end up actually saying those things to the person, once I've polished them up a little. I like to say what I'm thinking. If I hold it in too long, I start to have a physical discomfort. Like if you're nauseous and try to hold everything in. It's not healthy. So I guess I'm pretty good at giving words to my sorrow. Eventually.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Magic of Massage

Churches and Ruins and Walls, Oh My...Part Three

Barefoot