A Quote About Love

"Love is the triumph of imagination over intelligence." ~ H. L. Mencken 


Well, there are several different directions I can take that quote. I found it in my Awe-Manac (previously mentioned and still suggested reading). I agree with Mr. Mencken on this one. Of course, I am a romantic to the core. And romantics are not really known for their intellect. In fact, they are championed for behaving as though matters of the heart are completely separate from matters of the mind. Need proof? Watch the ending of almost any romantic comedy and you'll see this idea reinforced. In fact, I'm going to make a list of three of my favorite heart-minus-mind romantic comedy moments. Potential spoiler alert if you haven't seen these movies yet - though, with this genre you'd probably see these events coming ten minutes after the movie started. So, continue if you like. 

1. Bridget Jones's Diary - One of my all-time favorites. This is the go-to movie if I'm feeling down about relationships. Not only is her life always slightly worse than my own, the changes she makes are sort of inspiring. Most of the time. Bridget is one of those characters who never quite seems to have all her wits about her, and that is part of her charm. But her heart-minus-mind moment occurs at a holiday party thrown by her current love interest's parents. Tons of people are there and all gathered around when the man's father raises a toast to his impending engagement to this really nasty and un-Bridget like co-worker. Everyone cheers. Except Bridget. She shouts out, "No!" And then launches into a very clumsy speech about how disappointed she is for England, not just for herself. You get the picture. And, while it doesn't pan out well in the moment, of course she gets the guy in the end. So, this tells us we should blurt out whatever insanity we are feeling and given some time, the object of our affection will come round and plant a big smooch on us. Raise your hand if this has ever actually worked for you. Moving on. 
2.  The Mirror Has Two Faces - This is probably the runner-up, falling in right after Bridget. I love this movie because it pokes fun at the expectations we have of love while reinforcing the hope that sometimes crazy romantic things happen. And what's wrong with holding out for them, really? So in this one, Rose and Gregory are the main characters. They got married, but Gregory has made it clear that he wants no part of sex. He makes the mistake of telling Rose he got involved with her because he felt there would be no threat of physical attraction. She's never felt like the pretty girl anyway, and this news - from the man she loves - is devastating. Towards the end of the film, they're split up and Rose is at her mother's. Gregory, with the help of his buddy, has realized that he is in love with Rose. But he loves the old her (she got sort of a makeover and became really sexy). He rushes over to her mother's place and is screaming in the street for her to come down. They makeup, kiss, music plays, the end. It's hard to watch this movie and not find myself hoping for a miracle ending like this. In reality, most times the Gregory's don't come after the Rose's and confess their suddenly-discovered love. It's certainly an instance where someone was listening to their head and then tuned it out and started listening to their heart. I believe people change in real life, but this is definitely a stretch. It's a lovely thought though, isn't it? 
3. Under the Tuscan Sun - The first time I watched this movie, I cried about 90 percent of the time. I had recently been to Italy, fell in love with it, and had to leave before I was ready. I had also recently met an English boy, fell in love with him, and had to let that go before I was ready. This movie made a mess of me. And I loved every moment of it. Now, there is not much intelligence involved in Frances's decision to buy an Italian villa on a whim. But I cannot tell you how much I wanted to do exactly the same thing after watching this movie. It was a matter of the heart. Her heart needed a new start, a fresh scene. There was a kitten there. I mean, it was perfect. My Google searches were all about flights to Italy and what possible job I could acquire that would allow me to live in a similar state of awesome. But, it's a movie. In reality, I would most likely have been lonely, poor, and on my way home pretty quickly. That's the great thing about a movie like this though: it inspires you to take a leap. Make a bold risk. 

In fact, that's what most romantic comedies require in a good happy ending. A bold risk on the part of one of the lovers. An outburst of feelings to catch the one they nearly let get away. A change of character to mend some hurt they inflicted earlier on. The formula isn't complicated. Heart over mind. Don't think, just do. It can be good advice. As long as you don't expect a movie ending, it can allow you to lead with your heart and make no apologies. And that's what a romantic yearns to do. I always find myself hoping there will be a little movie magic in my everyday life. I don't expect it; that would make me somewhat delusional. But I am always hoping. Always keeping an eye out for a lovely twist in the plot. And trying to keep my heart at least at equal level with my head when it comes to actions. 

If you've had any wonderful movie magic in your life, please share it in the comments. It's always good to hear about real-life romance these days.  :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Magic of Massage

Let's Get a Little Personal...

Barefoot