Baking and The Vicar of Dibley

This weekend is my big-time baking weekend. I have four projects on my list: Bourbon Spice Applesauce, Dad's Oatmeal Bread, Sweet Potato Donuts, and Pizza. Though after snacking on the dough from today's bread project, tomorrow's pizza project might get nixed. Somehow, the idea of more bread became slightly unappealing. We'll see. 

I knew I was going to need a soundtrack for my cooking, but wasn't in the mood for a musical underscore. In times like these, there are only two options. It's either The Office, U.K. Version or The Vicar of Dibley. The Vicar won today. Would you believe it took me the entire first season to make my two cooking projects today? I was just finishing up the applesauce and the bread had about 20 minutes left to bake as the last episode was ending. 

There was something about the familiar mixing of the flour into the oatmeal and molasses and the sound of one of my favorite shows. I found myself missing home. My dad first got me hooked on both The Vicar of Dibley and baking oatmeal bread - from scratch and by hand. No bread machine has ever entered the Smith Household. The applesauce comes from my mom. Both are fall staples, even living in Los Angeles where we don't really get a fall season. As soon as September rolls around, I start looking for the first cool days, when the consistent heat from both the stovetop and the oven won't totally melt me. I also tend to hope for these days to fall around the same time as a paycheck. Always helpful. 

Anyway, I am starting a second blog in addition to this one. It's going to have more direction than this. It's called Foodie Puhtootie and will focus on baking and cooking projects and their outcomes. I'll be starting with this weekend's projects, but here's a little photo sneak peak of how the bread turned out tonight: 
I wish you could experience the smell or see the steam rush out on the first cut into the center. It's divine. The butter melts in seconds. It's always worth the four hours of work. Always! 

Well, the dishes are done. The kitchen bears no evidence of its previous disaster state, except for the four loaves of bread still cooling a bit on the stove top. It's been an evening very well spent. 

Comments

  1. The bread looks perfect. I could even smell it through the internet! I'm just glad Owen didn't ruin your appetite.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Magic of Massage

Let's Get a Little Personal...

Barefoot